Re-Shaping Your Image


So a friend emailed me, sounding in a bit of a panic. “Robert, I have an event to go to this weekend; I am loosing weight & I am in between sizes. I swim in one size, but JUST fit in the size I am slimming down to. What do I do?”


The first words typed by my fingers Shapewear— undergarments that control and smooth figure problems like Body Perfect by Donna Karen, Spanx by Sara Blakely and there are many others. You have seen stars on the red carpet wearing them, whether you realized it or not; Rihanna & Lady Gaga dawning the foundations on the outside, remember Madonna did it too; and the glamorizing of girdles of the Fifties by Mad Men. Whatever shape you are, the shapewear works by shoring up the excess in areas that you should not have any, and reshaping the buttocks, thigh & mid-section. Unfortunately it is not permanent, it only works when you wear them.


New innovation and technology have also caused a resurgence. Heat-sealed applications and laser-cut treatments as well as lightweight microfiber blends with Lycra spandex, Modal, Meryl; organic blends such as bamboo with cotton; antibacterial and moisture-repellent applications have made the garments lighter, more comfortable and a must have.


WWD reports “annual retail sales of shapewear grew 10.6 percent to $848.3 million from March 2009 to February 2010, and unit sales increased 3.8 percent during that period, according to The NPD Group research consultancy. A leading area of growth was plus sizes of XL to XXXL or larger, with sales gains of 14.8 percent last year.”


I received a follow up email from my friend “… I cannot believe how well these work, it sucked me into my next smaller size.”


These shaping foundations are affordable and should be in every woman’s arsenal. Boost your butt & boost your confidence. Pick yours up at Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Macy’s & even Target. #DKNY #SPANX

  1. Comment by Anonymous on April 20, 2010 at 7:16 AM  

    It's great! Shapewear really works, and I LOVE IT!! :)