A Letter to a Makeup Artist


Typically this would be an "Ask Robert" entry, but the following questions are about Makeup Artistry, so I thought we should refer an expert & friend Heather Wilson.

Andi L. of Manhattan, Kansas asks "... I suddenly look 40. In spite of being 40, I don't want to look it. Crows feet, tired looking skin. Need inexpensive non surgical fix for busy non girly girl mommy! PLUS, my hair dresser cropped my bangs WAY too short. I look like I have a bowl cut. HELP!!"

Heather writes:

Andi,
Congratulations on joining the 40 is the new 20 club!! We may be 40, but that doesn't mean we have to look it or feel it! I am a firm believer in taking care of yourself, and not using surgical fixes either.

First question... do you have a good skincare routine? I love Sampar Skincare. Their Eye Rule & Nocturnal Mask are amazing; I have experienced huge results on my own little crows feet!

Second question... are you drinking enough water and getting enough sleep? I know we all think we are drinking enough water, but we really should be drinking 1/2 of our body weight in ounces of water daily. It ends up being a lot more water than the 8 glasses we were always told to be drinking growing up! Sleep is not always easy being a mom, but on those nights when we do not get enough.... don't forget to have a spoon in the freezer so that we can place it under our eyes to help with any puffiness & darkness. (That and a great concealer works wonders!! )

Speaking of makeup, make sure that you are using a "skincare primer" (Smashbox Cosmetics or Makeup Forever both have a great ones available at Sephora.) I am a big fan of the Makeup Forever HD Foundation, or the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer. You want to put it where you need coverage, not necessarily all over the face, and please make sure the color matches your skin-tone! If eyes are your concern, use a concealer over an eye cream. Your concealer should be one shade lighter than your skin-tone to brighten the eyes.

Since you said that your hairdresser cut your bangs way too short, be sure to define your eye brows with a soft brown or light gray eyeshadow. This is a great easy way to open the eyes without having to get Botox!
I hope this helps,

Heather

Personal thank you to Heather Wilson, Make Up Artist, for her personal recommendations; I hope this helps with YOUR LifeStyle.

  1. Comment by Anonymous on December 29, 2009 at 9:36 AM  

    Did you see the photos of Nicole Kidman with the white of her under-make-up showing through? It made her look like she fell in the powdered sugar bag. Should we quit wearing white highlighter?? If not, how do we avoid this? www.stillettochick.com