Hey Guys... a little skin talk with me

Interview About MENS' SKIN with Robert Ballew, Phoenix-based Wardrobe Stylist

Instant Gift Certificate (click on link)

Ever since I was a young girl (don't laugh), I have always had an interest in chatting with people about beauty, fashion and grooming habits. A few days ago I asked my fellow "Twits" on Twitter for a male volunteer to interview for my blog about men and skin care.

Robert Ballew, a Phoenix-based Wardrobe Stylist, who I have been Tweeting with for some time now graciously granted me a telephone interview. We talked about his personal thoughts and experiences with skin care and facial treatments as well as grooming tricks for men!


To learn more about Mr. Ballew, check out his bio.

Here's my interview with http://twitter.com/robertballew

{ME} Hi, Robert! So nice to finally talk to you on the telephone! It's a real pleasure, considering we have been "Tweeting" together for months now!

[RB] Thank you, Lori. I am so excited about doing this interview with you! I enjoy reading your tweets, as well as other people's tweets!

{ME} Can you tell me a little bit more about yourself, your skin care regimen and facial treatment (if any) experiences?

[RB] Sure. I'm forty years old, grew up in Manhattan, and I have been living in Arizona for the past six plus years. I've been getting facials for the past ten years, thanks to my best friend who owns a day spa. For the past three years I've been more focused on treatment facials and get skin treatments every two weeks.

{ME} What kind of treatments have you been getting for the past three years?

[RB] I go to an Esthetician at a skin clinic for microdermabrasion and dermaplaning (exfoliation using a razor) as well as peels. Sometimes she does a calming facial, but there is no facial massage or extractions. My skin goal is softening of fine lines and smooth skin. Occasionally I will go to a day spa for a relaxing facial that includes massage of face and neck.

{ME} Robert, have you ever considered or have you ever had botox or any other cosmetic procedure?

[RB] I did have Botox. I was resistant to it at first, but my partner talked me into it because he had such good results with it. It worked really well to soften my upper forehead lines and the lines around my eyes. I only get a little, just to soften. I don't want to look frozen, just relaxed. I like a little movement. Ha ha! I did try the new generic Botox and it did not work for me, but I understand the generic works for most people.

{ME} What's your daily home skin care regime?

[RB] I've been using the Obagi system for three years. I also use La Roche-Posay scrub, SkinCeuticals B-5, skinCeuticals C & E Ferulic, Retin-A and SPF 35 every morning. Sometimes I use Retin-A on my entire face, and other times I just use it around my eye area.

{ME} (I'm thinking, "How do I tell him this gently")... So, Robert...Are you saying that you use all of the steps in the Obagi line? (He says yes!). Are you aware that all Obagi steps contain a very dangerous ingredient called Hydroquinone? The FDA is considering putting a ban on Hydroquinone

[RB] Oh, I did not know that. Thank you for sharing that with me. Are there other products that you would recommend for lightening dark spots?

{ME} Yes! Some of them you are already using. For instance, the Retin-A and Vitamin C is helping to lighten your skin. There are also natural lightening products like Epicuren's Skin Lightener, Balancing Cream and Rhonda Allison's Brightening Cream Enhanced as well as Rhonda Allison's Naturale Mega Brightening Serum.

[RB] I guess I have some research to do!

{ME} Okay. What about shaving, waxing, and thoughts on your skin?

[RB] I don't have any problems with shaving. My skin is oily, dry and sensitive. I change up my skin care routine based upon the time of year. Normally, I use fewer products in the summer and more moisturizing products in the winter. I use SPF every day. I get my brows waxed every two weeks and I did a series of laser hair removal for my chest hairs.

{ME} What are your personal tips on skin care and male grooming?